The u-Rippa and its associated water safety program were designed by Scott Bland
While employed as a Tour Guide and Scuba Instructor around Australia and overseas, Scott witnessed how young adults often over-stepped the limits of their capabilities and put themselves at risk of serious lifelong injuries or even death, especially in respects to aquatic environments.
Upon returning to Australia, Scott discovered that drowning accidents in open water environments were continuing to increase and the organisations committed to reducing drowning deaths were fighting a losing battle.
Education plays a major role in reducing drowning accidents and water safety education in Australia is not cutting it. Mainstream trusted programs in swim schools are out-dated and are not effectively addressing issues that are drowning Australians.
As an educator Scott recognised a large gap in water safety education and as a result of hours of creative thinking, several prototypes and determination Scott developed the u-Rippa Current Simulator and associated educational programs.
Though it has been praised by peers, parents and kids alike, Scott has learnt that it is not an easy ride to build awareness for a new and innovative concept. And he would like to thank you for being open minded and seeing the value of the u-Rippa for your children's development.
• Bachelor of Science Degree: Marine Science, Murdoch University, WA
• Associate Degree; Parks, Recreational and Heritage Management, Charles Sturt University, Albury, NSW.
• Bachelor of Teaching in Secondary Education, UTS, NSW.
• PADI Master SCUBA Instructor (25 years)
• Abseiling Instructor & Ropes Rescue Leader
• Diploma of marine studies Fisheries Management (Marine Biology)
• Certificate II in Marine Studies (Yatchmaster)
• Certification 2 in Coaching, Bedford university, UK
• Marine Activities Safety Coordinator and Guide - South-East Asia, Middle East, Central America, North America, Australia (Great Barrier Reef, Ningaloo Reef, Gold Coast, South Coast NSW)
• SCUBA Instructor (extensively worldwide and Australia)
• Snorkel Skills & Water Safety Instructor (Western Australian and NSW Schools)
• Bush Hiking and Rock Climbing Guide (Western Australia, Blue Mountains, NSW)
• Overland Tour Guide/Driver (Western Australia, Eastern Australia, South-East Asia. Middle East)
Lisa is married to the u-Rippa concept... or more so to Scott, whom designed and runs the program. Being a mum herself, Lisa understands the concerns mothers have for their children and the need to find quality education that teach skills and knowledge that children will understand from the beginning and will be useful for life.
Thus, Lisa has been the backbone of support for getting the u-Rippa program up and running. When everyone said it couldn't be done, Lisa was the one whispering in Scotts ears reassuring him that anything is possible.
Now she feels a peace of mind that her children will have the common sense, skills and experience to respect, avoid and survive dangerous waterways throughout their lives as young curious children, teenagers and young adults.